Thursday 2 February 2012

I love babies! This week Nathaniel, a six month old little boy, stayed at my house. For the first few days he looked at me as though I had no right to invade his space. By the time he left this morning, he seemed to have accepted my presence and even enjoyed helping me hang the washing.
There is something about little people that make grown men soft and squishy. I watched his hands-on Dad prepare bottles, feed him sweet potato and put him to sleep. But most of all he stopped and played with him every time he walked past. I captured their relationship in this picture this morning.
The baby is overshadowed, encircled by his Daddy. Yet he is still free to move. He could roll if he wanted to of wriggle out of the way. But why would he? He lays looking at his fathers face, memorising every line, soaking up the obvious love that blazes from his father eyes.
Nathaniel is nearly a miniature clone of his old man, long and lanky, same colouring, same face, same eyes. He's made in his fathers image. He has the same DNA.
Likewise we are made in the image of God. We have His nature, His gifts, His character. We grow into His authority, His creativity. The bible tells us that unless we are born of the spirit and come as a little child we can't enter the Kingdom of heaven.
Nathaniel was born into his family. He will always belong. Even if he leaves home for a season, he will always be a part of that family. And he came as a little child. He costs his parents money, time, love and energy. They  are delighted to be able to lavish him with their devotion.
Just like God! I love to think of God overshadowing me, guarding me and protecting me just as Nathaniel's dad does. What security is mine! The God of the whole earth loves me and stops to spend time with me, just because I am His and He delights in me. He calls me by name and as I look up I can see the love in His eyes. Yes, it's good to be one of God's kids!

2 comments: